Saturday, August 25, 2007

appreciation

A friend of mine hiked the Appalacian trail after college, and when he recently went hiking in the woods with his mom, he said she stopped at every tree to gaze in awe. "Look at this one! This one is pretty!" That kind of thing, I imagine. And he said he couldn't get into it the same way, not that he thought the tree was ugly or that it was overweight and couldn't compete with those impossibly high standards the anorexic looking trees in Better Homes and Gardens set.

It was a tree like the thousands of others he'd seen during the however many months he spent walking that trail. Even beautiful things get old. So too with biking these last few weeks. Everyone talks about how amazing it must be, what an experience it is, all the things I get to see firsthand. It's true; the country is beautiful and there is no way I could absorb it all.

But because we do it every day for hours, I guess I just don't appreciate it as much as I think people expect me to. Same thing when my family vacationed in Yellowstone. We were so excited to see our first buffalo, but by the twentieth one or so, they all sort of look the same: brown lumps of bovine.

Sometimes I feel guilty that I'm not enjoying it more. That maybe I have the wrong attitude and that's why each moment on the bike isn't a communion with God. But then again, I don't think anyone in the normal world starts his car and takes a moment to marvel at the brilliant engineering and physics occurring under the hood. Or gapes in wonder at the sheer number of humans populating the streets, as people might with a herd of buffalo.

There's wonder in everything, but conversely, I guess that means everything wonderful can become pedestrian, common, and forgettable as well.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Armin, I think that suz did a post without letting you know. Watch out what is happening behind your back.

Aunt Jules

mattw said...

I've been reading bike touring blogs for a couple of months now and yours is the first that has made me laugh at least once per entry.
I'm also reading the blogs of your cohorts but definitely enjoy your writing style the most.
Oo ee oo ah ah, twing twang, walla walla bing bang!
Oo ee oo ah ahhh, EE II EE II OOHH!

Florence P. Shu said...

That a boy!

Always remember swing and fly kite.

Aunt Mummy

Anonymous said...

armin:

cetiv will lecture on beauties of human mind when biking with a bob deraileur, actually, tomorrow.

he asks me to tell you to stop by when you arrive in town so you 2 can have a coffee or 2 together and you are welcome to have a look at his cows in his barn.

and, newo says hi also, he thanks you for paving his driveway.

sojert

Suzanne Lowell said...

what, i do not understand this. me? what have i posted behind armin's back?

Anonymous said...

suz, I think armin knows it already.

watch out: it is something like pirate kiss of lemon; or pirate kiss of lime.

something of the acidic nature.

enival

Anonymous said...

how was your day today?

was it an easy day?

Cannot wait to hear what had you done.

It was a nice blog; after a day of the work out, someone seems to have left some jokes for you to relax a bit and shift your mind away from winds and roads.

have a good evening. rest well.

Anonymous said...

armin, my Philippine colleague wants to pay you a salute. He also is a very energetic person. He ran Marathon all over the world. He rocks everywhere... as you rock in your metallic music groups. When you do 12-mile, do you still get time to play yukalalee?

Florence P. Shu said...

A correction to the posting at 6:23pm:

120-mile, not 12-mile.

Thanks,
rednow