Wednesday, July 11, 2007

pepper spray, spf 50

My guess is that with the radiocative waste supposedly buried in New Jersey, all those heavy metals, plutonium, neptunium, uranium, must have increased the overall mass of the state, therefore making its gravitational pull much stronger than anywhere else in the world.

I could feel that gravity pulling me down, making my wheels sluggish, impossible to get any forward momentum. Day 1, Lincoln Park, NJ to Milford, PA was brutal. The sun that popped as a tiny bud in the east at around 5:30 AM, bloomed and exploded overhead around noon, spreading heat and ultraviolet radiation everywhere, like burning milkweed seeds.

Don't know what the warning signs for fainting are, but once I started feeling nauseous and dizzy, I pulled off the road. Having seen the crumpled and smashed in bodies of birds, frogs, unidentifiable furry things along route 206 N, I knew the motorists wouldn't have much mercy on me if I passed out into the traffic.

Continued on after lying in a cement shelter used as a bus stop for kids (but during the summer becomes a playground for every kind of crawling, winged thing native to North Jersey), Still exhausted, still picking spider webs out of my teeth, made it to the glorious Delaware River. Walked over the bridge and, delerious with the heat, imagined all the clumsy moths that were bumping into my face and chest were actually trying to get me to fall off the bridge into the brown water fifty feet below. Made it across no thanks to them.

I would continue writing this blog entry, but my eyes are burning as if the Coppertone sweating into them were pepper spray.

Main point, day one, tough, but finished. Day 2 so far, much more pleasant. never been so happy to see an overcast sky.

5 comments:

Suzanne Lowell said...

wow, sounds terrible.

kleinsassertrio said...

I miss you. I want to have spiderwebs in my teeth so I can be with friends and not have to drive in Houston.

Kim said...

It sounds like it was rough going but you survived it. Good on ya, chief!

Anonymous said...

Armin
Your writing is just amazing. I'm excited to keep reading about your journey. It takes a lot of courage to take these steps (or pedals) and I really admire you for it. I can usually get to the next town on my bike before calling it a day. We all miss you and are cheering for you. Take care and don't forget to keep hydrated.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good blog, buddy. I'm loving it.